From the opening of the park in 1906 until its later years in the 1940's, the park was only accessible by Trolley. Like most amusement parks opened in and around the early 1900's, North Point's sole purpose for existence was to increase trolley ridership. The park was owned and operated by the United Railway and Electric Company.
The Trolley Station is 208 feet long, supported by Georgia Yellow Pine beams, with a clere-story on the top, which mimicked the streetcars, or 'trolleys', running at the time.
The Trolley Station has become a popular place for large group gatherings: picnics, reunions, weddings and wedding receptions, etc. It can accomodate up to 400 people, has electricity available, and offers a wonderful view of the Chesapeake Bay. The beach is only a few feet away. The Trolley Station is available for rental and can only be used by permit.
The station could house four cars at a time. The Trolley Station housed the now famous #26 Trolley, or 'Red Rocket' as it became affectionately known.
In the hot summers from 1906 to 1947, Baltimoreans could hop aboard the No. 26 "Red Rocket' trolley (streetcar) from Fayette and Pearl Streets in downtown Baltimore. From there, about 150 or so people, 50 seated, would wind their way through East Baltimore to Eastern Avenue, to Dundalk through Turner's Station, across the Bear Creek Bridge to 9th and D at Sparrows Point. The trolley met a three car 'jerkwater' at 9th and D that shuttled passengers to and from Bay Shore Park. The trip lasted about an hour. The trolley cars were loaded in the Trolley Station next to the roller coaster in the park center. This may have been the only place in the country where a streetcar passed directly under a ride at an amusement park.
North Point State Park
"A little slice of heaven on the Chesapeake Bay"